Contents of the guide
- For skeptics – why use email marketing?
- How giants such as Amazon, Adidas, Adobe, Asos, Ebay, Zara and so on. use email marketing to increase their sales?
- Why Email Marketing Fails at Most Merchants?
- How different campaigns work together to earn money + a brief explanation of each phase. (INPR)
- Customer Creation Campaigns – Indoctrination (+ Primary Order) (INPR)
- Campaigns to Increase Order Size / More Sales (After Completed Order) – Transaction, upsell / cross-sell (upgr) campaign, request upgrading (upgr); ( INPR)
- Customer retention campaigns – replenishment; a upgrrer campaign, a upgrrer (upgr) campaign; ( INPR)
- Automatically activated ( triggered ) – abandoned cart, abandoned search, campaign availability of product (upgr); birthday (upgr), discounts for regular customers (upgr); (INPR)
- How to optimize your emails for more openings?
- How do you optimize for more clicks in links?
- How to keep the list clean, deliver high and low bounce rate through tools to clean out invalid addresses?
Part 1: Why Should You Use Email Marketing?
You must have heard (or think) that:
- He did not work;
- He was dead;
- It was just SPAM and so on;
Email is one of the most effective and cheap channels to attract and retain customers. He is the best in building a relationship with your followers and subscribers.
No connection, no sales.
So, if you think – „I’ve never bought an email, it’s not a bitch“ or my favorite – „It’s outdated, I only use Facebook / AdWords“, here’s real stats.
No tales and impressions:
- The return on email marketing is 44: 1. For every dollar invested, you earn $ 44. (Source: CampaignMonitor)
- 38: 1 according to CTCT study, Gigaom Research Report Workhorses and Dark Horses – Digital Tactics for Customer Acquisition and Direct Marketing Association 2015 for every dollar invested you earn $ 38.
- 87% of all marketing experts consider investing more in email. Another reason not to listen to fairy tales;
- Email marketing makes 174% more conversions from social networks . Social networks are an excellent source of traffic. By email, you turn it into customers. A smart marketer pulls traffic from social networks to the subscriber list.
- Email marketing makes the most conversions of all marketing channels (source: Monetate);
- Between 66-71% of online users have placed an order with an email marketing message (source: https://thedma.org/blog/data-driven-marketing/saturday-stat-series/ ) Proof that if not did something you did not mean it did not work. And I did not buy Lamborghini. Should they then stop them from production?
For more information about changes in email marketing and advertising as a whole, please read this article by Broadbandsearch.net
Your email works perfectly.
If you do not like it, it’s your loss. But I think it’s time to think twice …
All sources of traffic and email marketing work in sync
This is not a duel email against everyone. No.
Traffic sources should work in sync with email. For example, an ideal strategy is to attract a Facebook user. Then, with email marketing, turn it into a client. Do the same in online stores as well as in NeviaCommerce.
It is so much more efficient and cheaper.
This site, as well as giants such as Amazon, Adidas, Adobe, Asos, Ebay, Zara and so on. use email marketing to increase their sales
NeviaCommerce earns over 77% of its revenue through email marketing.
Books, articles, and everything else are delivered to readers via email. I advertise, of course, on Facebook but with the main purpose of filling the subscriber list.
From this list, I create, retain and build a connection with subscribers. The sale then becomes natural.
Huge names such as Amazon, Adidas, Adobe, Asos and hundreds of others also increase their sales through email marketing.
Let’s take Amazon as an example. Only their automatic campaigns are 9:
- Welcome! (automatically sent to each new registered)
- „Cash receipt“ (email after order order order;
- Shipping confirmation – an email notifying you that the shipment has been shipped;
- Thanks! (Thank you!) – A thank you letter for shopping with them. One more way to sell more and more;
- Invitation (the letter is sent to anyone who purchases more often);
- To order a more upsell product – a letter by which you try to sell a more expensive / advanced version of the product you buy. The option is to offer you a larger quantity if you recharge;
- Black Friday – Notifies the Black Friday and offers promotional products you are interested in – buy or view them earlier;
- Review / Review – Through this email, they want a review of the purchased item.
- Browsing – an email that reminds you of what you looked at some time ago. Its purpose is if you are willing to order to remind and buy it;
( Note: Most of the campaigns will be reviewed in the article)
Can you see? They are a lot.
Why do not you go to Amazon headquarters and say, „Shut up! Email does not work because I never bought a letter or so I heard from a neighbor / student / forum / facebook group. “
It sounds funny, is not it?
The coolest part – everything is automated
The beauty of the email is in full automation, according to what a visitor has made to the site. Always allow you to send a relevant letter. Just in time.
For example, if you looked at a shoe model on the 20th, the 30th (when it takes a salary) the system will automatically remind him of them in an attempt to buy.
So the message is qualitative. Relevant. On time.
People will not accept it as SPAM. On the contrary. You will often get greetings by e-mail of the type:
- „Thank you for reminding me!“;
- „I just thought about them,“ and so on. „
I `m not joking. Redirect the answers to your address and you will see.
That’s why some people are mistrustful about email marketing and where merchants are mistaken
Most marketers have bad email marketing. Note the quotes. Here’s what they do:
- They send the same letters to all subscribers only of a promotional character – Buy, Buy, Buy, etc.
- They release letters with promotions, promotions and promotions.
- They send the same to all subscribers . You have people who are interested in trousers and get a dress promotion. How long do you think the subscriber will endure before he leaves?
- They only release letters of a promotional character instead of adding value . For each letter you sell, you must send 3-4 in which you give value. How many stores do it?
At one point, a man writes and writes off.
If you are lucky, it will not mark SPAM. Hence the bad reputation of the email – the user is joking that they have been spurned. Merchant – „But I tried it and nothing happened“.
In short, you will learn how to make email marketing work and how to get your stuff done.
When is it good to use a little warning / My store is not going well. Email Marketing Will Save Me?
Look, focus on email marketing if you already make good money and sales. He will add 15-20% winnings above. But it will not work if you have a bad product, you are in a bad market, and your store is not going.
Before that, he solved these problems. Then go to email marketing.
Yes, it will bring you another percentage on top, but until you fix the main problems, the results will be modest.
Part 2: Automated Email Campaigns
If you want quality email marketing, pay attention to automation. Money and commitment are there …
Automation – Relevance and Sales.
You send a letter according to the action of the user. When he gets it, he immediately understands what’s going on. Because it matters and interests him. By the way, only here you will see openings of the letter of 40 and above the percentage.
Besides, if you’re a beginner, the chance to confuse something is smaller.
Here are the statistics why you should listen to me:
- Businesses that submit automated campaigns have a 133% greater chance of sending a relevant message that corresponds to the client’s sales cycle (source: Lenskold and Pedowitz Groups ). That’s exactly what I was talking about.
- Automatic emails open on average 70.5% and click 152% more than mass campaigns (source: Epsilon Email Institute).
- Some of the B2C businesses that use automation receive 50% conversion (source: eMarketer);
- Over 75% of email revenue is generated by automated campaigns (source: DMA)
How do campaigns work?
Together. Automatically. Towards common goal – more orders.
Did they see how they progressed?
Creating a Customer – > Increasing the Size of the Order -> Holding a Customer
Your goal in one sentence.
The purpose of the campaigns is:
- To fulfill its primary purpose;
- Activate the next group;
For example, a group of campaigns to create a customer, creates a client, but moves to the next – increasing the size of the order.
The goal is to increase the size of the order (AOV) through more purchases, but also to make the client regular.
The last group – customer retention, has one goal – the customer to make as many orders as possible.
And the last band – the „abandoned“ series?
Somehow it belongs to all groups less.
- Abandoned baskets. If someone starts an order but does not finish, the campaign is activated and returns 5-10-15% of the sales;
- Abandoned search. The campaign returns to the online store users of the site’s search engine.
- Abandoned category / product . User viewing product / category 5-6 times in a row? Hmm. There is something here. The campaign returns it to the site in a few days to make an order.
Everybody will ever find themselves in such a situation. Whether it’s an ordinary visitor. Client. Regular customer. Wholesaler.
Do you know that the letters from these campaigns are opening abnormally often?
Some receive 40-50% open rates!
The user has done something on the site and the e-mail title itself is reported. That’s why they generate interest. Clicks. Sales and loyalty, like no other.
That’s why I advise you to bet on campaigns that are entirely up to the visitor’s actions.
Client Creation Campaigns
Campaign 1: Indoctrination Campaign / Welcome / Onboarding
- Email client supporting feature: Anyone
- When activated: As soon as the user leaves an email address
Why is the indoctrination campaign key?
- 4% of subscribers expect a letter when they subscribe to an email list (source: BlueHornet)
- Users who read 1 email from a „Welcome“ campaign read more than 40% of the next emails sent within the next 180 days. [ source ]
- Welcome emails earn 320% (!) More revenue than any other promotional email. [ source ]
- The average percentage of emails for the Welcome campaign is 50% – 86% more than regular emails. [ source ]
The campaign is the first minutes of dating. Breaking ice. If it is bad, the impression is spoiled. Imagine he tells you „Hi“ and you do not answer.
The same (but online) happens when you do not have a „Welcome“ campaign. User is recorded and then nothing.
What is the purpose of the series?
We take advantage of the excitement of the client to get it:
- Get to know your brand and build a relationship;
- We make a fan on social networks;
- We turn into a client;
The most important things. Makes them here because:
- The first emails of the campaign open the most . I repeat. As soon as the user leaves the address, he expects a confirmation letter. That’s why they open up to 45-50%.
- You use the initial excitement . There is a thrill at the beginning of each connection. The same is here. We start with something small – like the Facebook page. Then, read the delivery terms. Finally – a purchase.
What to send in the letters?
I suggest in 5-6-7 emails to send the following:
- The prize against mail. If you give the reward to an e-mail address (discount code / link) in the letter, give it the first one.
- Links to detailed shopping terms . If you have pages with information about payment, delivery, etc. necessarily show them. This will only reduce the number of questions, returns, exchanges and disputes with customers.
- Links to information about your business. Here are links to the pages about us, press releases about how good and innovative a business is (if you have congratulations), who manages the company, its history, etc. (As 60-70% of online stores in Bulgaria there is neither business nor nothing and nothing to put at least, think of something like this to look like – it’s legal.)
- Links to your competitive advantages . Do not modify it. Here’s the place to blow out. Show how your competition breathes the dust. For business to go , you must have the advantages and show them to every new subscriber. Immediately.
- Links to blog articles . It is imperative that online stores have a blog. It attracts traffic. Turn customers into customers. Position yourself as an expert in your market. Pick up 3-4 of the top articles and put them in the letter.
- Ask to follow you on social networks . Give links to Facebook, Google plus, Instagram, and so on. Engage subscribers from early on, and you’ll get followers faster.
- Ask them to put you in a whitelist . Mail is not filtering emails from you. So you’re sure your letters will not go for anything in the SPAM folder.
Turn the subscriber into a client through an irresistible offer
The goal of the series is for the subscriber to become a client.
You can add an additional discount to the prize you promised to email. Special offer only for new customers or something. Add a term to not postpone.
For example, if you give a 5% discount, give another 10% (a total of 15%) on your first order with you. But only if you buy up to 3-4 days.
There is no movement with time. If the products are attractive, turning into a customer through a promotion is a child’s play.
Campaigns to Increase Order Size
Campaign 1: Transaction campaign
- Email client supporting feature: Klaviyo
- When activated: As soon as the customer orders
Why should you use the campaign?
Letters of this type – order confirmation, delivery information (transaction), etc. are expected and important to the client. He wants to know if everything is ok with the order.
That’s why they open and click rate incredibly often:
- Letters confirming that the order was accepted are opened on average by 73% of customers;
- Letters that the order is sent also have an abnormally high rate of opening – 69%;
- As sales, transactional letters earn 6 times more profits than the others (that’s why they are sold here);
( Source: Experian transactional email report)
Compare to regular emails. Their 15-20% openings look straightforward …
In short – we have an excellent sales chance.
What is the purpose of the series?
Note: Here we will only talk about the order confirmation letter. Generally, the series has 6 or 7 emails after it, but we’ll look at them in the book.
The goals of the first letters are to:
- Confirmed that the order was received in the store successfully (apparently);
- Increase the size of the order by offering a related or complementary product to the customer (s);
- You get followers on social networks (you can leave this for the next letters is not a priority);
Increase order size
Note: To make the campaign, the email client must offer related products to the customer’s order. This feature is supported by Klaviyo and I recommend that you use it for all campaigns.
In order to have sales, the offer in the letter should be targeted. It happens by offering a related / complementary product to the one in the basket.
- If the customer has taken a sports jacket, offer a T-shirt, shirt or trousers.
- If you ordered a machine, offer a non-component (nozzle, additive) or consumable (fuel, oil).
- If he ordered a protein powder, he offered vitamins or other supplements that helped the effect of the protein.
The idea is to offer products that:
- They fit along with the main (in the case of the jacket);
- Complement the main (in the case of the machine);
- Strengthen the effect of the main (in the case of protein);
Whichever you choose works. Customer must feel that it makes sense to take and the proposed product. No sense – no reason to do so.
The offer hangs. The sale is failing.
Offer products that are up to 25% of the basket value
It is best to sell related products, which are a small part of the price of the main one.
Imagine that you buy something for $ 100, and you get a $ 110 product offer in the letter. You’ll take it a bit hard.
But if it’s 15-20 lv (and the product is fine) you have nothing to think – you buy.
The items you offer in the letter should not require the customer to think. When you wait at the cashier in the store and get chewing gum, do you think before you take them?
No. This is an impulse purchase.
The bids in the letter should be the same. They have to be so close to the client not to think. Their price should also be low in relation to the size of the order – up to 25%.
More than that begins to think. By itself, more than 30% and emerges as a completely new order.
There is no longer adding gum to the basket while waiting at the cash register.
Add followers to social networks
In the order for a received order, it is also a good idea to put links to social networks.
The consumer has bought. The next step is to become a fan. Ask the letter to follow you on social networks:
- Google +;
- Pinterest and so on.
Let’s say you’re doing 50 orders a day. 30-40 of them will like the page at the end of the month you will have about 1,000 fans.
Not many, but month after month they are getting up. Totally natural and free.
Campaigns for abandoned shopping cart, product, category, and search
These are campaigns that are activated by the user in the store.
They are activated for example in:
- Product review;
- Viewing a category
- Reaching page (e.g., search results page, filter, etc.)
- Reach and abandon cart ( abandoned cart);
The common among all is that they show the intention of the user. If you are looking at a product, category or some other page, there is interest.
Something, however, may have distracted him and left the site. We have to get him back.
This is how…
Campaign 1: Abandoned Baskets
- Email Client Supporting Feature: Klaviyo, Mailchimp, Sendinblue and Plugins / Plugins for Popular Online Trading Platforms – WooCommerce, OpenCart, Magento, PrestaShop, Shopify, etc.
- When activated: When a user adds an item to the basket but does not complete the order
Why do you need the series?
Imagine you pay for advertising.
Visitors enter the site. They’re looking. Put a product in your cart. And they disappear without completing the order. Coffty.
It’s called an abandoned basket. If you keep an eye on analytics, how much do you have them will get you. Here’s why you have to run the campaign right away.
- The average rate of abandonment of baskets is 70-75% with a tendency to increase ( Baymard Institute source )
- On mobile devices – 8/9 out of 10. On mobile devices, things are crying – abandoned baskets are 85% and rising (source: Barilliance). Already more than 60% of the traffic is from them.
- In 2015, traders lost $ 4 trillion due to abandoned baskets (yes, exactly – four trillions.) (Source BI Intelligence)
Need for persuasion? See how much money you lose per month …
About 75% of the baskets are abandoned. For every 100 add-ons in the cart, 75 are not ordered. Nearly 2/3 of all. Let’s make a conservative forecast – rebuilding 5% of the baskets.
If the store wins 30,000 leva, it loses 60,000 leva per year in abandoned baskets. (2/3 abandoned, only 1/3 finishing and carrying 30,000)
- 2/3 of the baskets are dropped (only 1/3 is finished)
- 1/3 of all completed orders bring us the entire profit – 30 000 BGN.
- 2/3 equals 60,000.
If you create a recovery system and save 5% of your orders, that’s 3,000 leva per year without moving your finger.
- With 10% success rate – 6 000 BGN
- With 15% success rate – 9 000 BGN
- With 20% success rate – 12 000 BGN
How to save some of the lost orders?
I recommend you send 2-3 emails after the order is abandoned.
Now I’ll show you what and when to send.
The first 24 hours are critical
Most of the e-mail orders are up to 24 hours. So we have to send the first letter up to 2-3 hours after the product is abandoned.
- The next we send it 48 hours after an abandoned product;
- We send it last 4-5 days after an abandoned product;
Here’s what to write in the letters
Email 1: Remembered forgotten item.
In the first letter we just remind you . Just write that there is an order waiting for completion. This. Sometimes the client just needs to guess.
Email 2: H atiskame order to complete .
In it you just say that the product can be exhausted. We create a sense of lack. Few fears motivate the client to complete the process.
If it comes to email 2, then work is more serious. He pointed out that:
- There is a selected product in the basket waiting to be ordered;
- Indicate that the product is likely to run out. Write something like „We do not guarantee the product will be available again when you decide to go back to the site.“ If possible, even indicate how many items remain. If you now write in the letter that there are 10 pieces left, and in the next email – 5, he will seriously think about acting now.
- Indicate the product return or replacement policy (there may be doubts that the shipment will be received and whether it can be returned if it does not meet its expectations)
- Ways to contact the store – email, phone, live chat, Facebook, etc. They will often ring you on the phone or write chat while reading the letter.
Email 3: Last attempt to save the order.
In the third e-mail, he just pointed out that you were the last time to remind yourself and you would not write to him anymore.
In all three letters, he placed a large and glossy button with a link to the basket page. The button text may be something like this:
- View Cart
- „Go back to the site“
- „Finish Order Now“
- „Get the product now“
- „Continue shopping“
Should I offer a discount coupon in the letter?
I am against that.
I do not like concessions. I do not want to get customers to expect reductions. Then they do not learn.
However, there is an average option.
In order not to always expect a discount on an abandoned basket, offer a coupon only for the first order. If you offer a 5-10% discount to win a customer – do it.
You can even mark it in the third e-mail – as it first buys you, you will give it a discount if you finish your order.
You make sure you do not have purposely abandoned baskets because of the party.
Note: The function is supported in Klaviyo. You can ask how many times and whether only for a new customer to activate the coupon for discount.
Campaign 2: Abandoned product and category
- Email client supporting feature: Klaviyo
- When activated: User views product / category multiple times, but leaves the site without buying
Why send letters of abandoned product and category?
- Average open rate: 79%;
- Average Click Rate: 87% ;
- Average Revenue Received: $ 35 (ie, an average of $ 1.35 earns on each campaign receiving the letter);
Note the huge percentage of openings – 52.79%! Compare to the average% of openings of 15-20%. The letters are relevant and come in time. That’s why consumers are opening them (and buying them) so often.
The average revenue of $ 1.35 is also high compared to other types of emails.
What is a campaign?
It’s not very popular because it’s more advanced. Makes a few clicks in Klaviyo, so you have no excuse to postpone.
The series is simple:
- For an abandoned product. When a user views an item several times in a row, we send him an email in a few days to order it.
- For an abandoned category. When a user views several items in a category, we send an email in an attempt to order a product.
You see, there is nothing complicated. However, the results are excellent.
This is remarketing.
Like when you do remarketing on Facebook or Google, you get cheap clicks and high revenue, here’s the same.
Users have shown interest in the items. Do you bring them back, they are no longer the cold traffic that is not ready to buy. They know you and selling is easier.
From there the high:
- % openings;
- % Clicks;
There are a few things to look out for.
Use rules (filters) to avoid overwhelming the user with letters
In order to save SPAM complaints (and letters with floral expressions), we will put restrictions on who and how many times to receive the series.
You know that if you get a lot of letters for each product you are looking at.
Rule 1: Send only to the 3 to 5 times category / product viewed without buying.
- For products: Send a letter only if the user has viewed the product at least 3-4 times without ordering.
- For category: Send a letter only if the user has viewed at least 3-4-5 items in the category.
The letters go to interested visitors.
Rule 2: Send only 25-30 days
Let’s say that the customer looked at 20-30 products.
According to the rules above you should get a lot of letters.
There’s no point.
Remove from receiving letters (called suppression list) for abandoned category / product, all who have received it in the last 30 days.
All right. We made it clear. Let’s see what to put in the emails.
What to put in the letters?
The user has not shown such a serious intention. Still, he only looked.
That’s why we’ll do it calmly. We will only remind him of what he has looked at and give similar suggestions – products or categories.
In the letter for an article you have to do,
- Picture of the product reviewed;
- Several similar products;
- Links to product categories in the store
Here things are alike:
- Photo of the category considered. For example, if she looked at „Women’s Shoes“ put a picture of ladies shoes.
- The most-bought / highly rated / liked products in the category;
- Similar categories;
- Links to product categories in the store
Note: The feature to show similar products / categories is easy to do in Klaviyo. Just connect the store and Klaviyo with a product feed. When needed, it will pull the store data – photo, product name, price, etc. and will put them in the letters.
Campaign 3: Abandoned Search
- Email client supporting feature: Klaviyo (feature in beta test)
- When activated: A user uses the search engine on the site but leaves and does not place an order
Why do you need the campaign?
- 55% of visitors leave the site within 15 seconds. Using the search engine is a sign of interest. We have to return the user. (source: Hubspot)
- Earned search emails open on average 42% ( source: BlueCore);
- Clicks are also high – 7.7% (source: BlueCore)
If you enter an online store and:
- Explore products;
- You use the search engine;
So something caught your interest.
95-98% of sales are made after several visits to the site. Therefore, it makes sense to return visitors, doing one (or three) things above.
We’ve discussed product and category campaigns. Now we will look at using the search engine.
What to put in the letter?
Whatever it was wanted.
If the visitor was looking for the „jacket“, in the letter, show:
- Most purchased products in the „Sack“ category;
- Top rated products (by reviews) of the „Sack“ category;
- The latest?
- Similar products to those searched;
You can also show products from the search brand.
For example, if the phrase „Adidas Shoes“ is used, adidas items / categories are displayed in the letter:
- Sports shoes;
- Football shoes;
The content must match the search. There is no point in sending you a quote.
Client retention campaigns
Campaign 1: Reload a product
- Email client supporting feature: All. I recommend Klaviyo, MailChimp or Sendinblue
- When it is activated: When it comes to reloading / changing product time
Why use the campaign?
It is ideal to keep customers and keep them out of the competition. It’s critical to remind subscribers of you. Otherwise, customers will „run away“ – buy once and not return.
What is the campaign?
Reminders that the product needs recharging.
Perfect if you sell:
- Food additives;
In general, everything that is exhausted / consumed.
All products in the upper markets are running out of time and need to buy over and over again.
Markets with them are profitable (because there is the potential for regular purchases and customers), the competition – cruel .
Do not leave it to chance. You expect the customers to come back to you is naive.
The technique is applicable to each product
Everyone has a cycle / expiration date.
Shoes, accessories and clothes also need „recharge“. For example, running shoes up to 500-600 km. They then tear and need to change.
The same is for the rest – clothing, accessories, and so on.
The strategy is ideal for services, warranties, repairs, and so on.
What is their wonderful?
They need to be renewed. This means:
- Regular clients;
- High net revenue;
If your products have paid support, service, etc., the strategy is obligatory. Here’s a few examples:
- Guarantees. If a customer has purchased a laptop with a warranty of 1 year, 10 months after the sale, he / she should be sent a reminder email in which you bid to extend the warranty / maintenance.
- Service. If the customer has bought a technique from you, but his workshop expires, he must send him a remembered email 1-2 months before it expires.
- Periodic maintenance reminder. If the customer has purchased a laptop with you, he sends him a letter in a few months to remind you about one of your services – cleaning, reviewing everything (check overview), installing / renewing the license for new software, and so on.
Use every occasion (without clutter) to contact the customer.
This is a type of remarketing. You stand in the eye of the client. So they stay longer with you as loyal customers and less go to the competition.
Just a few simple emails.
When and how to send emails for reminders?
Let’s say he heard dog food was enough for 30 days.
A client purchases it on May 1. After 20 days, we should begin to remind him that the food is over. 20 days after the order – May 20/21 we send him the first e-mail.
If he does not buy, we send another email on May 27th, with a prompt to do so now. They usually buy 2-3 days after the last one. May 30/31, May.
Once bought, the cycle starts from the beginning.
Here’s what our series looks like:
- Day 1 – The customer buys a dog food bag.
- Day 20 – First reminder reminder for recharge.
- Day 27 – Second reminder with recharge reminder.
- Day 30 – Final letter.
If there is a sale, the cycle starts again.
Example sports shoes
Here’s an example of sports shoes. Normally every 1000 km. it is good to change. Let’s say, on average, customers walk for 6 months. 5 months after ordering, you can offer the same or similar model.
- Day 1 – The customer buys shoes;
- Day 150 (5 months after purchase) – First letter with reminder of the same model;
- Day 160 (5 months and 10 days after purchase) – Second letter of reminder;
- Day 170 (5 months and 20 days after purchase) – Final reminder letter;
The more information you have about how often customers are breaking, the more accurate your email marketing will be.
Now, 5-6 month cycle is difficult to target, but for smaller items it’s easier.
Let’s say a customer has bought a T-shirt from you. The cost is 20-30 BGN. Use the campaign by offering similar models.
For a similar price and type of product, I would choose a period of 30-40 days. Everyone can spend 20-30 BGN a month to buy something new.
Here’s how I would do the letters:
- Day 1 (Campaign Start) – Customer purchases the T-shirt;
- Day 30 (30 days after purchase) – First letter proposing to buy a similar model;
- Day 35 (35 days after purchase) – Second letter suggesting a similar model;
- Day 40 (40 days after purchase) – Final letter with suggestion for a similar T-shirt model;
For more orders, you can add a discount coupon. 5-10% should do the job.
Part 3: How do you reach more users?
How do more people open and click on the letters?
Do you want to be effective?
Email marketing has 2 things to improve:
- Increasing Open Rate – How Many People Have Opened Letters;
- Increase Click Rate – how many people have clicked on the link in them;
How to get more people to open letters? (open rate)
More open emails -> clicks -> sales.
Subject line of the letter
Most importantly. When you receive an email, you only see this. If he does not grab you, you do not open it. Do you remember how I advised you to write interesting article titles?
Apply it here:
- How do you look killing with dress and jeans?
- How to extend the life of leather sneakers?
- How to choose a shirt by body type?
- How to shop with us cheaper? (here you can put a discount code)
- How To Shop With Us With Free Shipping? (free shipping code)
(X) the way to ..
- how to look killing with dress and jeans?
- how to extend the life of leather sneakers?
You get the idea …
If you want this … you must do that …
- If you want to look dazzling at the ball, click here ….
- If you want more compliments, look at these dresses …
- If you want one, click here.
(Name) Important …
You can customize emails with a name, surname, etc., followed by words like „Important,“ „Urgent,“ etc. The formula works.
From your little trained to pay attention when you hear your name. If you add such a word, the effect is strong.
- Ivan, see this. It is essential that…
- Ivan, open mail, urgent …
- Maria, especially for you …
- Daniela, we have an important message about you.
You can also use words like „special,“ „imperative,“ „quick,“ and so on.
Create a sense of lack
Use words like limited series, offer duration, promotion only for X days, and so on. Lack sells. People want more because it is limited.
Goods become more valuable.
Important – do not overdo it
If all or most of your letters are written like this, the effect is lost. Use with measure.
Tell the truth
If you lie about being limited, you’re just exposing yourself. After 2-3 lies, no one will believe either the technique or you as a merchant.
Often change the titles
People get used to it. If you make up something fresh, you keep the interest longer. Try variants and see what works best.
Avoid promotional words
Everyone is accustomed to them – „Free“, „Promotion“, „Clearing“, and so on.
Personalize your emails
Email clients have the option to put the user’s name in the title. Use it. The letter looks personal and opens more.
Which sounds better?
„We have new models from your favorite sneakers!“ Or ..
„Maria, we have new models of your favorite sneakers!“
Forget worn out phrases like …
- The promotion of the century (real example);
- Unprecedented reduction;
- Other Bombastic Promises;
Write normally …
- No title in capital letters – INCREDIBLE PROMOTION !!!;
- No exclamation, or sentences in quotes – „INCREASED PROMOTION !!!“;
These are signs that the letter is spammer. If there are any such scars, the posts will put it into Trash / Spam / SPAM.
Automatically. No appeal.
Browse the SPAM folder and make sure you are on your own.
How to Increase Click Click Clips?
Use quality photos with a link
People are shopping with their eyes. Put attractive photos in an e-mail with a link to the site.
Beautiful images of the product bring more traffic.
Use buttons in contrasting color
Make the button distinctive.
Use colors like orange, red, purple, and so on. Do not look at aesthetics. The goal is to click on the link.
Use call to action
Make a command but add a favor. Instead of „Clic here“:
- „Click here for a 20% discount!“;
- „Click here for a one-time offer!“;
Target the user, but give a benefit.
Use text links
Somewhere in the text he put text links. I recommend that you put them after a high emotional point.
What is a „high emotional point“ ?!
- Once you understand that you have a 20% discount;
- Once you learn that your favorite sneakers are available again;
- Once you learn that your favorite dish is waiting for you at home;
The emotion moves. Use it. Make a link. Button. Or both.
Use links to the site and the text itself
Instead of having a separate link to the site, you can „hide“ it as a common word.
„Take advantage of our incredible Adidas trainers offer ! Buy 1 pair, get 2 … .. Click here and take your pocket now! „
The underlined words – Adidas sneakers, are a link.
Here are some more tips:
Use ready-made templates
Email clients provide tested and crafted templates. Use them.
- Have a professional design;
- They are tested and look good on all mail – gmail, abv.bg, yahoo, etc;
- Response (adaptive) design – looks good on mobile devices – smartphones, tablets, etc;
Do not put important information in the image January
Some posts block images.
If you put information there, nobody will see it. Always write information and as normal text.
Do the following experiment:
Get the images from the email. Do you see the point? Yes? Wonderful. Mailla is ready.
If not, correct it.
Make the letter easy to read
Email is an SMS for computers. Be brief and clear.
- Break the text into small pieces. Let it read easily;
- Use subtitles;
- Use short sentences;
- Use your everyday language;
- Talk to „you“;
Do the following.
Imagine you offer the product or your mother’s promotion. Record on a voice recorder. Then write it as text in the e-mail.
How to keep your list clean?
What does „clean list“ mean?
- All invalid;
- Covered mail;
You send letters to them, you get a bounce – a jump. The letter can not be delivered.
A high percentage of bounce is a signal that you can be a spammer. Mailboxes expect the list owner to keep it clean from invalid emails. Spammers do not bother.
Mail smells and begins to filter your messages. Delivering emails is starting to decline.
That’s exactly what I recommend in the Indoctrination campaign to ask subscribers to put you on a white list. Letters from you will not be filtered.
At 3-5% bounce – grab the broom
Create a rule. At 3-5% bounce – clean list.
So more emails will be delivered to the actual subscribers and you will pay less for their number (email clients or charged for the number of subscribers or the number of mails sent).
In both cases, you pay unnecessarily more if you have fake / invalid addresses.
Also, the reputation in the mail will not suffer – more letters delivered.
Validation of addresses and periodic cleaning of the list – 2 ways to solve the problem
Here are 2 quick ways to solve your problem.
- Method 1: Validate an email address even on the site. After a while, I’ll show you a tool to check if the address is valid until the user writes it. You will often have been invented to see the reward against the mail.
- Method 2: Periodically clear the list of invalid / abandoned addresses. Again this is an instrument. It works simply. Download mailing list in CSV. You upload it for scanning. The Cleanup Tool shows the invalid addresses.
Of course, he will not delete them without confirmation. It will only indicate who thinks they are problematic. Next you act at your will.
Here’s the tool that supports both features …
Neverbounce.com – https://neverbounce.com/
There is everything:
- Clear the list
- Validation of addresses in real time;
- Integration with email clients / validation services in real time. For the time being, ClickFunnels, Hubspot, Instapage, Mailchimp , Marketo, Pardot, Unbounce , Vertical Response and Zapier . That is, if you collect your email addresses through them, they will be immediately checked.
- Free verification of 1000 addresses per month. As a bonus 1000 addresses will be checked for free.
For more information, visit the integration page – https://neverbounce.com/integrations.